Information and Instructions for a Change of Researchers in a Currently Active Study

Nelson Mandela University researchers (staff and/or students) of currently active studies making use of human participants who require to inform of the change in any study researcher (i.e. PI and/or PRP and/or study collaborator) are required to complete and submit a request for the review and approval of such a change PRIOR to implementing the change, except where it is essential to prevent and/or exclude immediate hazards and/or risks to currently enrolled participants and/or the currently approved PRP and/or PI. Failure to request a change in study researchers prior to implementation thereof may result in the immediate suspension or termination of all data collection activities linked to the study.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances, continuous applications for changes to study researchers for a particular study will not be viewed in a favourable light. 

The procedure described below is NOT for requesting approval for an extension/renewal to and/or amendment of a previously approved protocol. For these purposes, please follow the process Request for Extension/renewal of a Currently Active Study or Request for Amendment.  


  1. Download a copy of the application for change of researchers form template.  The form is intended to be comprehensive in order to assist you with inclusive responses with a view to prevent any delay in the review and approval of the request.
  2. Researchers are required to familiarise themselves with the instructions and terminology provided on page 1 of the application for change of researchers form template.
  3. Complete the form in full.  Provide suitable responses to each item on the form.  Incomplete or incorrectly completed forms might result in a delay of the review and approval process, and ultimately on the ability of the study to continue.
  4. The application for change of researchers for a study must be supported by a current progress report (RECH-004). This can be downloaded from the Study Progress Report page or may be an updated version of the most recently submitted progress report.


Completed forms should be submitted to the relevant Faculty contact person and to RECH The application form together with the copy of the original application, the updated study progress report and the signed approval letter must be submitted.